Mary and Colin (Ben’s adventurous aunt and uncle, remember their first visit) were in Glasgow for a weekend getaway and they invited us to visit for the day. This was my first visit to Glasgow and it was too short (another post about our visit).
We had a flurry of art at GoMA, they had an exhibit by the artist Nikki de Saint-Phalle. The art had a very familiar quality to it, I had seen this before and then it hit me- Ms. Saint-Phalle’s art is featured in the fabulous fountain at the Centre Pompidou in Paris. My favourite is the spitting lips!
(Full lips are a theme)
(Mary and Ben reading up on the exhibit)
(Colin, a man after my own heart- straight to the video)
(Shadow and colour- nice!)
(We are so arty)
We hit the trendy art and music venue The Arches for lunch- we had some great giggles and tasty food- a ground pork and haggis burger for Ben and a spicy veggie burger for me.
Glasgow is supposed to be the place for concerts and art but it is a city also renowned for the unhealthy influence on its residents- it is called the Glasgow Effect and makes me relieved we live in Edinburgh.
ORANGE FUN… What color is your fun?
Another fun picture of light drawing. Fun with shutter speed in our hallway.
Ben surprised me with the Grace Coddington memoir I had but on my wish list, I had originally planned to take this to Thailand, but if you have not seen this book, it is huge, hard-cover and weighs exactly two pounds, eleven and a half ounces. Plus I was too excited to read it. Ms. Coddington has lead a very exciting life and was a very popular lady back in the day. Even with her very impressive rolodex (she has not yet embraced technology), she seems very down to earth. Highly recommend.
I popped this recent picture of Ben and me in this set because my coat is a variation on orange. Plus we were out having fun- heading to friends’ for dinner.
My turn- Ben has had some trouble choosing the best gifts for me- some of my ‘favorites’ have been- S-hooks for the kitchen, wooden trivets, arty photo-mag, Romka and his favourite movie- Sex, Lies and Videotape. It seems he buys me the things he wants!
So to help him this year, here are some of the picks I would be pleased to see under our tree.
1. Bigger is better when it comes to an umbrella- this one from London Undercover is neat.
2. Hunter wellies are all the rage in Edinburgh and from what I can gather the world, I am partial to this Tretorn pair- Swedes are stylish too.
3. I try to carry my Archie Grand- ideas notebook wherever I go- I have only had about three ideas, so I will not need a new one for a while, but 2013 could be the year of ideas!
4. A bit of nostalgia- summers reading my original collection of Nancy Drew books- which is your favorite?
5. I still love my cherry-face Swiss Army watch, but I have been wanting a gold version.
6. Thinking of my humid 2013 work trips- hair product is a must and Ben keeps using mine.
7. Just in case the Semi-Sumo does not do the trick-Blax.
8. You have seen me sleeping- not stylish- these menswear inspired pj’s are perfect for upping my sleeping style.
9. No thank you to Uggs, yes please, to Cole Haan shearling drivers- torn between the Pink Tourmaline and Citrine.
10. Long-time reader- first-time subscriber or at least I could be. I would prefer the U.S. version.
11. Snuggled up with my Vogue and dreaming of Christmases past in France with un chocolat chaud.
12. Anna Wintour’s (see Vogue) number two must have some intereting things to reveal- I want to find out what.
13. Who does not love Pink Martini, plus I need some new tunes.
14. See 13 and sub Tennis for PM.
15. The white earbuds from Apple are so 2012 and at this rate probably the start of 2013.
I have been feeling sporty since taking it up a notch pre-Thailand and some of these items could keep me going strong into 2013.
1. Motivating films like Breaking Away should help to motivate.
2. Are you exercising hard enough? Confirm your suspicions with a watch and heart rate monitor.
3. Try the classic Chariots of Fire with Scottish legend Eric Liddell and the beaches of St. Andrews to keep you interested. The music is okay too.
4. Glass is better in the form of a sleek water bottle- easier to clean and more sanitary, plus bright hues that will get people talking around the bubbler.
5. Jamming out, keeping track of your miles, carrying keys and bus fare all in a handy arm band- don’t make my mistake- comes in multiple sizes!
6. Toasty and stylish as you huff and puff through cold winter runs.
7. My sister-in-law rides a fixie- I want to be like her- here is a cool (medium) budget version, if you buy in pounds (plus these bikes were founded in London). Again with the colours.
9. You can never have too many pairs of running tights- as long as they are OPAQUE!
10. Sure regular socks will do, but get a grip with Pilates socks.
11. Though we don’t live in the mountains anymore, these snowshoes would do the trick if we make in back to Grenoble this winter.
12. I have been looking for an easier to pack running shoe- fun colours as well (I am into this).
Greetings on Black Friday!
Without Thanksgiving as a calendar marker, Christmas comes very early in the U.K., to get into the Tis the Season mood, here are some baubles from the gift shop at Modern II.
We are looking forward to our Christmas celebrations. We are hosting Ben’s mom and dad. It is going to be fantastic. I will be a bit sad knowing my family will be reuniting in Ohio and Ben and I will not be there, but we will have some serious memory-making with Sue and Dave.
But this weekend, Ben and I will be celebrating Thanksgiving. Stay tuned for posts next week- a new tradition in the making. Perhaps!
Have a great weekend!
OLYMPICS RECAP… When Ben’s mom knew London would host the 2012 Games she sprang into action. She followed the dates of when the ticket lottery would open and how we could try to secure tickets. THANKS SUE!
I remember Ben and I filling in the choices we would like to see- I am sure we picked some of the top sports- swimming, tennis, football, gymnastics followed by a second tier choice, rowing, archery, shooting and somewhere in the mix we must have added handball -which was our Olympic sport!
We had an amazing day out at the Olympics- Ben and I even got a little teary entering the Park realising this could a once in a lifetime experience (hopefully not, but just in case- tears were appropriate).
After preparing ourselves for the worst, thanks British news, we had no problems. Right on the train, no waiting at security and quick entry into the Copperbox (our Olympic venue).
We saw two matches- Russia Federation vs. Montenegro- this was great a tie at 25-25. The teams were equally matched and fast moving. Match number two was Team GB vs. Croatia. The spirit in the arena was high, the Union Jacks waving like crazy, chanting loudly, but it was not enough to help Team GB to a victory. The team gave it their all.
OLYMPIC INSPIRATION… Comes in many forms (here, here and here). The games have started. We will be following on the BBC. We caught the Opening Ceremony on BBC iplayer- Ben had his tissues ready and he is full of national pride!
Umbrella from Heals.
Chair from Freckles and Ivory
Bike the Surly Pacer in British Racing Green. My bike! They have a new colour, Sparkleboogie Blue!
NICE… Thank you flowers from a happy student!
Ben Pawson and Jason Segel both spotted sporting J.CREW’s Secret Wash Lightweight Shirt in Fliss Check in Hillside Poppy. Which of these guys does the shirt justice?
Cast (write) your vote via the DISQUS comments below!
Ben used his design skills to pull together a look for our wedding stationery. Ben purchased the font especially for our invites. I think the invites set the tone for a super fun series of wedding-related events. I love the colors!
Ben worked across the atlantic with the team from Paper Rock Scissors to ensure everything was ready to go. Our contact- Patty Boots was a rockstar.
We had the save the dates and thank you notes printed in France.
The French bulldog was from my Comptoir des Cottoniers Hello Leon t-shirt. We took such a shine to these we had them reprinted and five years on, they are still our thank you notes.